[b-hebrew] And the earth was without form, and

Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com
Fri Apr 14 17:40:58 EDT 2006

Karl wrote:
I noticed you took this off line.

**I didn't intend to and I'll reply back online.

First, "day" when it is in the context of a number
is regulated by the movement of the earth. There is
no reason that God counted it differently than we
do today, especially since he set the whole thing
going. After all, in Genesis 7:4 the flood didn't
start seven ages after God commanded Noah to enter
the ark (though he may have been so busy that it
seemed like ages).

**Excellent thought, Karl.  Rotation of the earth marking time, good point
and I'm satisfied with that explanation.  I just got locked up on the sun being
the instrument to measure time and that slipped pass me.  Another senior
moment.

"Day" without the context of a number is an all
together different matter. That is true in both
Hebrew and English. It is very likely that English
was influenced by Hebrew through translations of
the Bible. It is the use of "day" in or out of the
context of a number that determines whether or not
"day" may refer to an age or limited to the
equivalent of a 24 hour day. Genesis 1 is one place
that has the context of numbers, other passages do
not.

Agreed here.

Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley