[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com
Fri Apr 14 14:14:55 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/14/2006 9:14:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
villandra at austin.rr.com writes:

> The original condition is described as, "The earth was without form and void
> (empty or whatever), and darkness was upon the face of the deep" - there
> being no English equivalent for the word that is translated as "deep".
> However, chosek (as I vaguely remember the word) was upon the face of
> whatever it was.

Whoever translated the Hebrew text to the Septuagint translated to read,
"invisible and unfurnished."  And I would have added "chaotic."  But would God
have created something formless and void.  He says to Isaiah (45:18) that He
didn't create the earth in formless and void condition.

Doug
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas