[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Apr 14 09:33:09 EDT 2006

Dear Charles,

>  > HH: I think so. Why would we understand that light existed in verse 1
>>  when God creates light in verse 3?
>
>It is interesting to note in Isaiah 45:7 that God created (bara) darkness
>and formed (asah) light. Thus giving grammatical support that light
>pre-exixted darkness and was "formed" into that light which was good for
>man.

HH: I happen to be reading a commentary on Isaiah 40-55 right now,
and Isa 45:7 is evidently talking about light and darkness in terms
of good and evil. It is not an historical statement so much as a
providential one. The verbs are not perfects but participles.
Although participles could refer to the original creation, that is
probably not what they are doing in Isa 45:7, which reflects on the
judgments God has brought on Israel and the blessings He is bringing.

HH: You must mean that darkness pre-existed light, but I don't think
we have to assume that darkness was formed into light. First, I don't
think Isa 45:7 has to refer to the original creation because darkness
and light are symbolic of judgment and blessing elsewhere in Isaiah.
The light in Genesis 1 could have been a new creation ("let there be
light"), not necessarily something from pre-existing material.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard