[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Apr 13 18:19:01 EDT 2006

Dear Doug,

>> > HH, I have a question here, when was water created?  Also, Isa 45:18,
>> > God says He did not creat the earth formless and void, "a waste
>> place"?
>>

>> HH: You raise a good question. Why, in an account of creation, would God
>> start with many things already created? Why wouldn't the story just show
>> us how He created all things? I believe the Genesis 1 account does that
>> by saying that in the beginning He created the heavens and the earth.
>> Water was one of the things created in His creation of the basic heavens
>> and earth.
>>

> I thought 'Bara' as used in Genesis 1 means 'created from nothing'?
>  And I understood that light existed in vs 1, and water.  Am I wrong
> in this understanding.

HH: I think so. Why would we understand that light existed in verse 1
when God creates light in verse 3? There is a temporal progression
throughout the chapter. It is natural to assume that it begins "in the
beginning" and proceeds from there. Throughout Genesis 1 words like "Let
there be" imply the creation of something. So I assume that in verse 3
they imply the creation of light, something that previously did not
exist. You mention Isa 45:18, which talks about God not creating the
earth "formless and void." I guess you are wondering how that fits with
Gen 1:2, which says that the earth was formless and void. But Gen 1:2 is
not the end of the creation process. All of Genesis 1 is describing
God's work of creation. God could start by creating some basic materials
and continue working from there. The ultimate result was a world for man
to inhabit as Isaiah said, full and well-formed, but we should not
expect that on day 1 of creation week.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard