[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Apr 13 17:18:38 EDT 2006

Dear Doug,

>> HH: If you are claiming that light was the first thing created, you
>> are in difficulty with the text, which says that before the light,
>> there was darkness over the surface of the deep. There were waters.
>> So there were other things in existence prior to light.
>

> HH, I have a question here, when was water created?  Also, Isa 45:18,
> God says He did not creat the earth formless and void, "a waste place"?

HH: You raise a good question. Why, in an account of creation, would God
start with many things already created? Why wouldn't the story just show
us how He created all things? I believe the Genesis 1 account does that
by saying that in the beginning He created the heavens and the earth.
Water was one of the things created in His creation of the basic heavens
and earth.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard