[b-hebrew] Isaiah 3 ornamentation

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Apr 13 16:06:39 EDT 2006

Dear B-Hebrew Haburim:

Are there any explanations of all the different
ornamentations listed in Isaiah 3:18-23? Or are we
just guessing?

I am looking at TP)RT = ornamentation,
LX$IM = amulet (from the idea of whispering a spell
over it to give it supposed powers)
(KS = ankle chains, can be used both for
ornamentation or leg fetters
R(LH = either loose fitting, flowing garment, a
luxury in a day when cloth was hand made, or
possibly a long veil
$YRH = decorative chain, such as to hold a cloak on
BYT HNP$ = a box shaped amulet, possibly to contain
some "magical" object
C(DH = ? some sort of ornament that makes noise or
otherwise advertises itself while walking?
Q$R = another sort of amulet? Hanging bangle that
is tied on?
$BYS = headband?
#HNYM = moon shaped ornaments?
N+PWT = drop shaped pendents?
MXLCWT = clothing for special occasions, "Sunday
best" as it were, stripped off for daily work?
M(+PH = something draped on, a stole?
M+PXH = mantle?
XRY+ = tooled leather purse?
GLYWN = mirror? diaphanous clothing?
MQ$H = fancy hairdo? vs. 24
PTYGYL = ??

Some of the words we are pretty certain as to their
meanings:
+B(WT = seal rings, to give an impression to seal a
letter
NZMY H)P = nose rings
SDYN = undergarment
CNYP = turban
RDYD = shawl as worn by women

Any clues from cognate languages? Some of these
words are happax legomai.

Karl W. Randolph.