[b-hebrew] OT key term lists

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Apr 11 22:00:02 EDT 2006

Dear Jae-Hee,

>I have TWOT and NIDOTTE with me. It seems to me that TWOT is not really
>helpful, but
>at the moment NIDOTTE would be the most useful in checking OT key terms.
>However,
>NIDOTTE has whole lot of subject index and index of sematic fields, etc.
>But what I am looking for is now like KTBH(Key Terms in Biblical Hebrew),
>maybe.
>That is not just for theological or biblical studies, but for a good tool
>for translating or checking important key terms consistently in the OT.
>(For example, I would like to check the use of "sin(s), inequity,
>transgression(s)" in Wisdom Literature and Psalms (in BH) in order to check
>out whether those terms are translated consistently or appropriately. And
>other key terms like those, too. )
>So it may be primarily according to Biblical Hebrew, but not disregarding
>theologically important terms.
>I have also TW CD which has 'cheklists of key biblical terms in the NT (RSV
>text)'.
>This is the one I am looking for right away, but at the same time more
>serious studies like KTBH.
>Here I have one more question, i.e., what is major differences between
>NIDOTTE and KTBH project?
>When would the KTBH be available to translators?

HH: There is a a project called The Bible Knowledge Word Study that
you might want to consider, though it is not complete yet. It was
originally called The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study, but the editors
dropped the word "Key" after the publication of the first volume or
so. It goes through the entire Bible looking at key words in context.
One word may get treated several times if it has substantially
different uses or is quite important in more than one place or book:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=442656&event=CF

HH: Here is a blurb by the publisher on one of the volumes:
http://tenderfoot.windborne.net/nextstep/product_info.php?products_id=5693&osCsid=9bfd55599fbf801...

Bible Knowledge Series
-by
(David C. Cook; 0781442648)
Words-the building blocks of Scripture-reveal mind-changing concepts
about God and His world. For that reason, The Bible Knowledge Key
Word Study may be one of the most important Bible resources of modern
times. Pastors and lay persons, new or seasoned teachers will find
this the perfect study companion for understanding the basic meaning
of key words of the Bible, their origin, and their meanings in
context. The Key Word Study is practical, too, with critical words
appearing in the order that they appear in your Bible, arranged
book-by-book, chapter and verse. For the benefit of those you teach
and for your own personal enrichment, put this resource alongside
your Bible and let the insights begin.

HH: However, the work will not help you to see whether a word has
been translated consistently through the Bible. It is better for
showing the significance a word has in various contexts.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard