[b-hebrew] "Mind" in Hebrew and Aramaic

Albert & Julia Haig albert_and_julia at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 8 07:51:04 EDT 2006

Thanks Harold and Herman. This is a useful text. I agree with Herman that Luke is an original Greek composition, but he presumably sourced Mary's speech from somewhere, and, I agree, the original speech (again, assuming its historical authenticity) was most likely in Hebrew/Aramaic. However, it is possible that Luke was fairly "free" rendering Mary's statements into Greek, so it's a bit hard to know exactly what Mary would have said in the original language. This makes it a bit less useful than the shema' case, where we have the original Hebrew.

God bless,

Albert Haig.

Harold Holmyard <hholmyard at ont.com> wrote:

    Dear Herman,

    >2006/4/7, Harold R. Holmyard III :
    >

    >>HH: I ran across an interesting phrase in Luke 1:51, which makes one
    >>wonder what the Hebrew or Aramaic original was. Mary says that God
    >>scattered "ones proud in the mind of their hearts." The word "mind"
    >>is DIANOIA, which can also mean intention, purpose, thought,
    >>attitude, or understanding, according to the dictionary that comes
    >>with the UBS text. It is translated "imagination" by the KJV. So it
    >>could have been a word like maHshavot ('thoughts'), as you have it
    >>above.
    >>

    >Why would there be a "Hebrew or Aramaic original"? No evidence for the
    >suggestion that Luke was not an original Greek composition exists. I
    >agree it is a very "Jewish" text, but Jewishness and language don't
    >always have anything to do with each other. Luke's hebraistic style
    >may just as well be inspired by the LXX.

    HH: I was talking about Mary's original words, not some presumed Hebrew
    or Aramaic original of Luke's Gospel. Albert wanted to assume that
    people spoke Aramaic or Hebrew at this time in Palestine, and I was
    going along with this idea. But it is quite likely that Albert is
    correct that people spoke Aramaic or Hebrew, and that Mary would have
    spoken this way.

    Yours,
    Harold Holmyard