[b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua

Joshua Luna joshua at can-do.net
Thu Apr 6 13:11:51 EDT 2006

This comment is "off list".

For full disclosure I am a Messianic Jew and do use the Messiah's Hebrew
name in worship. I kept my post as unbiased as possible and as factual as I
could, but I thought it relevant to disclose my personal position on this
subject. I also use the name YHWH in worship, but do not consider myself a
"sacred namer" - I use it because it is what the text says.

I just wanted to provide some disclosure so you would have a context by
which to weigh my comments.

As for pronunciation of the name "Yehoshua" (Yod-He-Vav-Shin-Ayin) in the
1st century. I am not sure. We have very limited data from this time period.
Yahoshua is a possibility (but not for the reason sacred namers give) and
possibly Yahushua (the way it was pronounced before the exile). Of course
English speaker don't reproduce the Ayin and the presence of the furtive
patach is a question mark.

Basically without more information I am not sure this is a question we can
answer with any degree of certainty. We can be certain though that Iesous is
the Greek of Yehoshua/Yeshua and that the Messiah had the same name used for
Joshua.

I wish you well in your studies. Shalom, Joshua