[b-hebrew] Isaiah 55:5

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Apr 6 04:44:14 EDT 2006

On 06/04/2006 02:11, Albert & Julia Haig wrote:
>> Why do you consider BHS rather than any other good edition essential?
>>
> Is it the apparatus, full of conjectural emendations? Is it the Masora? Is it the small textual differences from editions based on the Rabbinic Bible? In what other ways is BHS different from other editions?
>
> I was assuming the choice was between BHS and a basic edition without all the textual footnotes, such as the one which I was given by the Bible Society when I first started studying Hebrew at Theological College. Once I got beyond my first year of Hebrew and started doing serious exegesis, that edition became fairly useless and I had to buy BHS. But as for BHS versus another good edition which provides sufficient information on textual variants, I don't have any strong preference. The important thing is not the speculations in the footnotes - which sometimes are frankly far-fetched, although sometimes are helpful - the main thing, which is very important, is being able to know what manuscripts support what readings. BHS is not perfect in this regard, especially as regards the more recent information rom the Dead Sea Scrolls. I really, truly wish that we had an edition of the Hebrew Old Testament that came somewhere close to what the UBS Greek NT does with its footnotes.
>  Maybe one day ...

Thanks for this.

The Bible Societies are working on a new edition to replace and update
BHS, called BHQ (Biblia Hebraica Quinta). The first fascicle of this,
the Megilloth, has already been published. See for example
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol07/Weis2002.html and
http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/4725_4867.pdf.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)