[b-hebrew] Isaiah 55:5

Albert & Julia Haig albert_and_julia at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 5 07:19:10 EDT 2006

Sorry I'm always last to respond, but I live on the other side of the world!

> Thanks Herman. How would you suggest obtaining BHS?

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3438052199. But there is very little
here about accents, only a card with their names.

Not true. In my copy of BHS, the word is clearly marked with a silluq under the letter resh, and hence is pausal, as other posters have noted.

Having a copy of BHS is absolutely essential for OT Hebrew exegesis. It is readily available in paperback from large Christian retailers; here are the details from my copy (Which has a lovely green cover):

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart (Copyright 1967/77).

In this case the issue is a pausal form. However, Hebrew is not always entirely regular in its use of pronomial suffixes. For instance, "with you" masculine singular can be either `immeka (which is regular) or `immak, which you would think is feminine by its form, but is actually also masculine.

All the best,

Dr Albert Haig.