[b-hebrew] Yahoshua/Yehoshua

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Apr 4 19:17:23 EDT 2006

On 04/04/2006 23:58, Baruj Diez wrote:

>       (The   so-called   “Sacred  Name”  movement  that
>       purports  that  the “true name” of the Messiah is
>       “YAHushua”   or   “YAHoshua”   (or  some  variant
>       thereof)  is  founded  on  faulty linguistics and
>       esoteric  doctrine.  These  people think that the
>       sacred  Name  (YHVH)  is best rendered as YAHWEH,
>       and  suppose that since Jesus said He came in His
>       Father’s  Name  (John  5:34),  YAH  must  somehow
>       appear  in  the  spelling  of this name. ...

This is not entirely fallacious. I leave aside any question of
pronunciation, which to me is secondary. But it seems very clear that
Jesus' Hebrew name was יְהוֹשׁוּעַ Yehoshu(a)/Yahoshu(a), or possibly the
contracted form of this name יֵשׁוּעַ Yeshua. And this name is recognised by
all to be a compound of the divine name יהוה YHWH and a verb, with the
final letter of the divine name, which is silent, dropped according to
regular Hebrew rules. So the divine name does indeed appear in Jesus'
name. Whether this is theologically significant I will leave to others.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/