[b-hebrew] Fwd: Yahoshua/Yehosua

Thomas Thackery tthackery at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 16:07:49 EDT 2006

Dear Baruj,

The name Jeshua i.e. ישוע appear in the Scriptures 29 times
according to a simple query: these include 1 Chr 24:11, 2 Chr 31:15,
Ezr chapters 2 & 3, and in Neh chapters 9 - 12.  As for the form
"Yeshu," in my limited exposure, I have only encountered this as a
pejorative acronym ישׁ"ו, though this form is seen in Shem Tov ibn
Saphrut's Matthew Hebrew (Howard, 1995).

According to Davidson (Hebrew and Chaldae Lexicon) the proper name
"Yeshua" is a name meaning "he shall be a deliverance, i.e.
deliverer, for יְהִי־יְהֵי שׁוּע  comp. יֵהוּא)
pr. name of several persons, and stands often for יְהוֹשוּע)
(Davidson).  The name is a combination of one of two source, both of
which employ the use of the 'to-save' root.  The name "Yeshua" can
either mean "he shall be a deliverance'---where this is a combination
of 'y'he + shua' thus "Yeshua"; or it is a variant form of
"Yehoshua" (i.e. Joshua), where 'yeho' is an abbreviated form of
'Yehovah' (Yehowah) + shua' where the meaning is Yehovah is his
salvation.   Wether Davidson's rending is tenable, I leave to others.

Groetjes,
Thomas Thackery
Sacramento, CA