[b-hebrew] FW: Isaiah 55:5

Jerry Shepherd jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca
Tue Apr 4 16:04:31 EDT 2006

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
CANADA
Office: (780)431-5250
Home: (780)434-1164
Fax: (780)436-9416
Email: jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca <mailto:Jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca>
Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca <http://www.taylor-edu.ca>

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Shepherd
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:54 PM
To: 'Steve Miller'
Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 55:5

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.  Like I said, this makes more sense to me.  “Pausal” means that the word in question is accented with one of the two or three major pausal accents in the accentuation system.  These accents are either the atnach, usually at the logical halfway point of the verse, the silluq, the last word in a verse, or one or two other major accents that can have the same effect.  Being in pause can cause several changes, among them, making 2ms suffixes look like 2fs suffixes, causing short vowels to become long, causing a seghol vowel to change to a qamets, etc.  The change, however, has no semantic effect.

Jerry

Email: jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca

Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca