[b-hebrew] Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Tue Apr 4 00:47:59 EDT 2006

www.rae.org/pteroets.html

Pterosaurs huh?  Based on the text and context I would disagree.  Something as unusual as pterosaurs would, I think, be remarked upon by the author of Isaiah.  I would expect that if a pterosaur were seen in the ANE, it would be an unusual event.  Some much so that the author would draw attention to it in some way.  Yet the text betrays no special concern with these flying serpents, they appear nothing more than a metaphor for something dangerous and venomous, something to be avoided but not unusal.

--
Jack Tladatsi