[b-hebrew] Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Apr 3 14:55:13 EDT 2006

Jack:

Sarap #RP alone is used to denote the "asp", a
number of poisonous snakes inhabiting the Middle
East and Europe.

#RP M(WPP then literally would be a flying asp, in
other words referring to a flying lizard that may
very well have been venomous.

Reports and literature from around the world tell
of sightings of such animals, even up until the
last few centuries, even in Europe. While some
reports indicate great size to these creatures,
others indicate that these were on the order of
large birds. They were reported to be great
connoisseurs of farmers' poultry and small
livestock.

That these were called sarap could either signal
venom in their bite, or refer to their bright
coloring found in many of the reports.

Karl W. Randolph.