[b-hebrew] Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Sun Apr 2 00:32:06 EST 2006

Hello,

In Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6 the phrase "sharaf mez'wfef" is used.  It is frequently translated as "flying snake".  I guess flying is derived from the root 'wf.  Flying snakes are not normal to say the least.  So if the author intended the phrase to refer to an self-propelled airborne (winged?) snake, it would certainly be something unusual.   However there is nothing in the context to suggest anything out of the ordinary about these snakes.  The NIV translates the phrases as darting, I suppose a reference to the tounge of the snake (which flys out of the mouth of the snake).

Any thoughts?

--
Jack Tladatsi