[b-hebrew] gutturals and composite shewa

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:10:28 EDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Kelton Graham wrote:
> @ Harold, Dave, Yitzhan, Yigal

Yitzhak

> So if this rule is correct, which it looks like it is, is this the reason why
> YHWH, has a shewa instead of a composite shewa under the yod, when
> being vocalized as Adonai?

I think that the reason might have to do with the way the Massorah marks
developed.  Perhaps originally there was no composite schwa, only schwa,
and this was done for the Tetragrammaton.  Later, when certain "composite
schwa" marks began to be differentiated, this was done for Hataph Segol
in the case of the Tetragrammaton and not done for Hataph Patah in the
case of the Tetragrammaton.  All of this is "perhaps" but it explains how
such a development could have occurred.  The schwa in the case of
a single Tetragrammaton is intended to vocalize a "Hataph Patah."

Yitzhak Sapir