[b-hebrew] midwives

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 31 21:02:26 EST 2005

Hi Harold,

Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
> Dear Bryan,
>

>>What do you all think of the possibility that the midwives of Exo 1:15
>>were Egyptians rather that Hebrews?
>

> HH: The fact this it is said of them twice that they feared God helps
> convince me that they were Hebrews, who had knowledge of the living
> God.

The funny thing is, to me, the double reference to these midwives
fearing God is all the more reason to think they were *not* Hebrews.  I
ask myself why the narrator would "over-mention" their fearing God if
they were Hebrews (for whom it would be less remarkable to fear God).
On the other hand it would be particularly relevant to over-mention
their fearing God if it *is* especially remarkable for some reason like
that they are Egyptians.

Other non-Hebrews feared God such as the mariners in Jonah or Abrahm's
friend Abimelek in Gen.  You might also consider Ruth or even Cornelius.

Don't think I am determined to make these women Egyptians.  I am merely
more vigorously defending the less-proposed idea.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine