[b-hebrew] Lev 21:18 - Passive Participle

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Oct 31 17:42:35 EST 2005

On 31/10/2005 19:15, Karl Randolph wrote:

>On the contrary, it is because I see a unanimity of
>meaning in the Hebrew uses ...

What, cutting/slaughter/mutilation and consecrating are "a unanimity of
meaning"? I really can't buy that. I could accept that they just could
come from the same root as extended senses, but they certainly don't
show the kind of unanimity which anyone could even dream of taking as
evidence that these must be the same root.

>Evidence that Arabic has two roots becomes moot when
>there is no evidence that two roots are used in Hebrew.

There is good, although not conclusive, evidence in Hebrew for two roots
from the highly divergent meanings.

>Do you agree or disagree with Jack's definition of XRM
>and why?

Your question presupposes that XRM is a single word with a single
definition. The evidence clearly proves that this presupposition is
incorrect. So I cannot answer the question, any more than I would expect
you to answer "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/