[b-hebrew] accent mark question Ps 45:7 and Dagesh in Isaiah 8:11

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:50:27 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Kelton Graham wrote:
> @yitzhak:
>
> Let me ask you something, giving the munah, one cannot translate
> this as "God, is your throne for ever and ever."
>
> In otherwords the subject/predicate can't flip flop.

The Massoretic marks can't provide that.  There are only two possibilities
from the Massoretic marks: either "ksak )lhm" is a unified block or it is
divided into two.  If it was divided into two, the verse would read:

[ Your throne ] { [ God ] [ eternal ] }

Translated meaning, "Your throne, God is eternal"?  I am not sure what
that means.  I guess this means that the division of this verse portion is
rather straightforward.

> And which do you think is stronger translation?
>
> Your throne, O God...
> vs
> Your throne is God...

Like I said, I understand that vs 3 reads "God blesses you forever" and
starting with vs 4 reads the blessing to his king.  So God can't be speaking
to Himself.  God is speaking to His king, blessing him, saying He is the
foundation for his throne/reign.

> In regards to Isaiah 8:11, if this is a piel this would mean that bible works
> is in error, for they mark this as a qal imperfect 3 masculine singular.  I
> usually don't go against bible works, but in this case I can't see how they
> got there morphology.

Perhaps by using a variant that I listed.  None of the variants that I
pointed out
had a dagesh in the Samekh.  Do they claim to follow the Ben Asher Codex?
The dagesh is clear at http://www.aleppocodex.org/aleppocodex.html

Yitzhak Sapir