[b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 31 15:11:29 EST 2005

Stoney:

Haven't you been reading my earlier posts?

First, I believe that the Phoenicians got the alphabet from
the Hebrews, not the other way around.

Second, when languages are spelled phonetically, their
alphabets tend to shrink and grow according to
recognized phonemes in the language. As evidence, look
at what the Greeks and Romans did to the alphabet they
received from the Semites, and that's just two examples.
That the ancient Hebrews did not have separate
graphemes until much, much later, a millennium and a
half or more later, is evidence that when ancient Hebrews
first used the alphabet, the split had not yet occurred.

The two above reasons are (strongly) opposed by many,
but added to the following I think make a stronger case:

One, I noticed that phonemic difference between sin and
shin is rare, it appears to be as rare in percent of words as
for any other letter where the same spelling has two or
more distinct meanings.

Two, I have noticed several words that have the same
meanings, used in the same contexts, yet here spelled
with a sin, there with a shin.

Three, in looking at words from a common root,
sometimes one uses a sin, another a shin.

It is these five reasons that conspired together to cause
me to question what I had been taught when I studied
Hebrew. Each one alone is not convincing, but taken
together...

Karl W. Randolph.