[b-hebrew] Lev 21:18 - Passive Participle

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 31 13:05:56 EST 2005

Peter:

It was in logic that I first heard the argument that it is a
fallacy to assume that a lack of evidence merely means
that we lack evidence of something that exists. Rather we
must leave open the possibility that a lack of evidence is
evidence of lack, that that something does not exist. In the
latter case, lack of evidence is a positive (of a negation)
not a negative (don't have the data).

When there is positive evidence from within a language
contrasted to positive evidence from a cognate language,
I claim that internal evidence trumps cognate language
evidence all the time.

In the case of XRM, I see positive evidence that one basic
meaning fits all uses, therefore there is no evidence for
more than one root and none needed, therefore the lack
of evidence is evidence of lack, i.e. that there was no more
than one root used in Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.