[b-hebrew] midwives

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sun Oct 30 16:44:01 EST 2005

Shalom,

Thanks Yigal and Rivka for your answers. I hope you and others will
answer again.

The Hebrew in question is _lamyalldot ha`ibriyyot_.  If we only vocal
ize the lamed with shewa instead of patakh, the expression becomes a
construct chain translatable as "the midwives of the Hebrews."

A couple things recommend the shewa reading.  It seems strange to me to
think that Pharaoh would request Hebrew midwives to kill Hebrew
children.  In fact, Rivka asks why use Egyptians midwives with Hebrew
children.  Answer: to achieve Pharaoh's genocidal aim.

I also note the expression in v. 21 vayy`as ['elohiym] lahem batiym.
The event of v. 21 seems hardly worthy of note unless God made a place
for Egyptian women as befitting noble Gentiles.

I repect the Jewish tradition that these two midwives were Yoxebed and
Miryam, the LXX that translate "Hebrew midwives," and the standard
translations that also seem to agree that they were Hebrews.

Thanks again, Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church