[b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Oct 29 21:43:09 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk>

> I would be really interested in hearing you pronouncing flrt wrs etc.
> without a schewa. It's phonetically impossible.

Depends on how you pronounce the "r". It is possible with
the American pronunciation.

> I have lots of American friends and I have never heard your claimed
> pronunciation of women. Women is pronounced 'wimin' not 'wumin'.

No, you got it wrong! It's pronounced "women" with the "o"
like the "oul" in could, would or should, not "i", and the "e"
as in men, again not a "i". This is from the MidWest
pronunciation, which is considered the best American
pronunciation. Of course you could be running into a
bunch of dialectal mispronunciations, like those guys from
Noo Yauk or Baastin.    ....    ;-)

Karl W. Randolph.