[b-hebrew] Lev 21:18 - Passive Participle

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Oct 29 21:27:59 EDT 2005

Peter:

This brings up the question which trumps what? Does
internal evidence trump cognate languages, or the other
way around?

If within Biblical Hebrew there is only one meaning
evidenced for a lexeme, I see no need to look in cognate
languages for multiple roots. You on the other hand, seem
to say that if Arabic has multiple roots, then Hebrew must
necessarily have multiple roots as well, even when there
is no evidence within Hebrew for it.

(Further, the two Arabic roots look as if they could have
come originally from one root that first became dialectic
differences, that later became phonemic.)

The only way to resolve this disagreement is to find
documents that show a development of Hebrew indicating
that it originally had the extra sounds. So far there has
been no sign of those documents. So we'll have to agree
to disagree.

Karl W. Randolph.