[b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Oct 29 10:02:38 EDT 2005

James:

Which dialect of English are you speaking? The way I
was taught to speak, and which I continue to use, is to
pronounce all three examples exactly the same, and
exactly the same as "two" and "too". Your final example
shows how a person will slow down and pronounce "to"
correctly to clear up misunderstanding caused by sloppy
pronunciation.

In literature writers sometimes misspell "to" to follow the
sloppy pronunciation that many people use, but it is
recognized that such pronunciation is nonstandard.

This goes back to the questions of Greek transliterations
of Hebrew and Hebrew pronunciations, but we don't need
to go into that again.

Karl W. Randolph.