[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Oct 27 18:04:36 EDT 2005

On 27/10/2005 22:41, Read, James C wrote:

>A week being seven days and the seventh day being the 'shabath'
>etymologically linked to the number 7 which comes from the verb
>'to rest' as you already know.

Actually I know that this is not true. There are two different Hebrew
roots here, $B( (that's ayin at the end) "seven" and $BT "cease, rest".
Both are common Semitic roots and so far more ancient than Hebrew. It is
just possible that they have a connection in the remote prehistory of
Semitic languages, but I won't go into the implications of this. Anyway,
that connection would not be the derivation of "seven" from "rest",
although just possibly vice versa.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/