[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Oct 27 13:28:16 EDT 2005

Dear Clinton,

>The claim that a number plus day (yom) always means 24 hours seems to be
>assumed to be true because no one provided a counter example.  What
>about "third day" in Hosea 6:2?  I understand the larger phrase to mean
>"a short time" not 72 hours.
>
>If correct, this is at least one counter example to the assertion of
>"numeral + yom=24 hours."

HH: It may be figurative language for a short period of time, but it
gets its meaning from a numerical modifier of "day" where day means
day. The writer is not speaking of a third "short period of time." It
means "third day" after a first day and a second day. This isn't a
great parallel, but suppose I said, "He'll be here any minute now."
The wait will be a short period of time, since we use "any minute
now" to indicate a brief span of time.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard