[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Oct 26 15:14:42 EDT 2005

Yigal:

Here's where we cross over from linguistics to theology.

Francis Schaeffer probably had the best answer, in his
claim that while the Bible teaches true truth, it does not
teach exhaustive truth.

A modern example, I can say "the car went down the
road." While that is true, it does not say how fast, who
drove it, whether it is a steam, electric or gas car, what
color it is, and any number of other truths about the car
going down the road.

Similarly, Genesis 1 states that there were days,
linguistically the same as modern 24 hour days, before
the creation of the sun. But it gives not a clue how that
was accomplished. A humble exegete should simply admit that
he does not know how there were days before the sun
was created, just that the Bible records that such existed.
Any answer as to how is simply speculation with a high
probability of being wrong. The Bible records true truth,
just not exhaustive truth.

As a linguist, I view my job as accurately describing what
the text says, and leave the theology and speculation to
philosophers.

Similarly, a creationist will not need to explain the days
before the creations of the sun, unless he wants to
become a philosopher, not a mere exegete.

Karl W. Randolph.