[b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 25 13:14:36 EDT 2005

Peter:

But that's just the point. While the number of names that
Joel Hoffman presented is small, that the same names
have radically different pronunciations calls all the
pronunciation schema into question. Further, none of the
pronunciation points nor transliterations were extant when
there were still native speakers of Biblical Hebrew to
interview. The earliest was generations later. Who knows
what changed before.

And I will add to that that even within the tradition of the
Masoretic points, it is demonstrable that some of them are
wrong. Remember, I gave an example concerning
Proverbs 1:19 a while back.

The probability that after 1000 years of war, upheaval, no
native speakers, exiles, foreign accents and so forth, that
the MT should accurately preserve Biblical pronunciation
is a vanishingly small probability. Hence I can confidently
claim that the Masoretic points do not reflect Biblical
pronunciations.

Karl W. Randolph.