[b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Oct 25 10:35:07 EDT 2005

On 25/10/2005 15:15, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>Even if assuming that Randall Buth is correct on Greek
>pronunciation, the pronunciations preserved in the LXX,
>New Testament (genealogies in Matthew and Luke, as
>well as transliterated names), Josephus and possibly
>others, not only disagree with each other, but all of them
>with the Masoretes. The New Testament, particularly in
>the Byzantine tradition, even shows regional differences
>in its transliterations. Did you not see the chart that Dr.
>Hoffman provided for us? I found it interesting.

Joel Hoffman's interesting chart of a rather small number of names was
inadequate to show any clear patterns of relationship between the LXX
and MT forms of these names. Considerably more names would be needed to
show that there are patterns rather than chaos and randomness. The
different forms found in other Greek authorities tend to increase the
apparent chaos and randomness - although I am not saying that no
patterns would emerge from a long and detailed study. This is
irrespective of how much weight we give to Dr Buth's conclusions.

The New Testament does indeed show variations in Greek spelling between
different MSS. I guess the same is true of the LXX. As far as I know it
has not been demonstrated that these are regional variations rather than
diachronic change with time. And I don't see how these differences can
be related to Hebrew.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/