[b-hebrew] Leviral marriage

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Oct 25 08:32:25 EDT 2005

On 25/10/2005 12:18, George Athas wrote:

>2 Samuel 12.8 (ESV) - Yahweh's words to David through Nathan:
>
>And I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your
>arms and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were too
>little, I would add to you as much more.
>

>This suggests that Yahweh, at least in the Hebrew Bible, is not opposed
>to polygamy. He may not like it, but he certainly permits it. ...

Does this verse actually mean that Saul's wives became David's wives? If
so, there is no other reference to such marriages - David's wife Ahinoam
(1 Sam 25:43) must have been a different person from Saul's wife Ahinoam
(14:50). The point may simply have been that after Saul's death his
widows were dependent on David.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/