[b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Oct 25 05:26:53 EDT 2005

On 25/10/2005 01:19, Kevin Riley wrote:

> I know that this is a suggestion many on this list will see as heresy, but
>could I suggest that, rather than relying on the internet for articles that
>are of widely varying accuracy, anyone who is interested in this subject
>actually read some of the classic books where all the evidence is set out
>for everyone to comprehend and argue with.  There seems to be a virus
>infecting so many people interested in religion and religious writings that
>makes them avoid like the plague anyone who has spent a lifetime actually
>studying the subject in favour of 'unbiased' authorities like Wikipedia and
>obscure internet sites.  Just in case anyone wants to [probably in secret to
>avoid public castigation] read these books, I will list some below to get
>you started.

Kevin, I take your point. But in response I want to make three points:

1) Some of us are situated far from good libraries and simply don't have
access to these kinds of classic books.

2) Sometimes the classic books are decades, even a century or more, out
of date, whereas the latest scholarship can often be found on the
Internet - although mixed up with all kinds of old or simply wrong ideas.

3) The articles I recommended on Greek were not chosen at random from
unreliable parts of the Internet, even if the actual sites on which they
are hosted are obscure. Randall Buth is a former member of this list and
someone I personally trust to be a good scholar. The same for Carl
Conrad who is a moderator of the b-greek list. And Chrys Caragounis is a
respected New Testament scholar whose courses I once took - and you also
recommend him.

Please note also that I have several times challenged others in this
discussion to provide evidence concerning changes in Hebrew
pronunciation, rather than to make assumptions. I would be very pleased
to see evidence from such classic books.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/