[b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 24 19:09:45 EDT 2005

On 24/10/2005 23:27, Karl Randolph wrote:

>As for Biblical Hebrew pronunciation, about the only thing
>we can say with certainty is that the Masoretic points do
>not preserve it. ...

No, we cannot say this with certainty, unless someone provides some
actual evidence of change. It is probable that there were some changes,
but perhaps only rather small ones (cf. Caragounis' claims that Greek
pronunciation has hardly changed for 2500 years!), but nothing can be
certain without evidence.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/