[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 24 08:03:14 EDT 2005

Dear Peter and Jimmy,

>On 24/10/2005 02:13, Jimmy Doyle wrote:
>
>>I'm in a discussion with a creationist who believes in 6 literal 24-hour
>>days of creation. Can anyone point me to good resources for the use of yom
>>in the Biblical texts and Rabbnic texts? From what I gather in BDB, the
>>singular use of yom in the Biblical text generally refers to a single day,
>>but I feel as if I'm missing something here.
>>

>I think so. The "day" of Numbers 3:1 and Deuteronomy 4:15 seems to have
>lasted 40 days, that of Ezekiel 39:13 seven months, that of 1 Samuel 7:2
>for 20 years, and that of Judges 18:30 for about 70 years - and that of
>Genesis 2:4 six "days".

HH: The word day, "YWM," when used with a prefixed preposition "in"
often has the idea of "when" (Gen 2:4). It word can sometimes mean
"time" (Judges 18:30) but does not have a numerical modifier in those
cases. In 1 Samuel 7:2 YWM could still indicate a particular day (the
day the ark began to abide in Kiriath-Jearim), although "time" could
be the sense. The word refers to literal days when it has a numerical
modifier.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard