[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 24 07:21:16 EDT 2005

On 24/10/2005 02:13, Jimmy Doyle wrote:

>I'm in a discussion with a creationist who believes in 6 literal 24-hour
>days of creation. Can anyone point me to good resources for the use of yom
>in the Biblical texts and Rabbnic texts? From what I gather in BDB, the
>singular use of yom in the Biblical text generally refers to a single day,
>but I feel as if I'm missing something here.

I think so. The "day" of Numbers 3:1 and Deuteronomy 4:15 seems to have
lasted 40 days, that of Ezekiel 39:13 seven months, that of 1 Samuel 7:2
for 20 years, and that of Judges 18:30 for about 70 years - and that of
Genesis 2:4 six "days".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/