[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 24 06:52:06 EDT 2005

On 23/10/2005 16:54, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>I don't make that assumption at all, and, in fact, that's the
>viewpoint I'm arguing *against*.  I assume that the Tiberian forms *do
>not* capture the more ancient forms.  It is others on this list who
>think that they do.
>
>I pointed out that the evidence from the LXX is in general
>inconclusive, but it *does not* support the view that the Tiberian
>forms correctly capture the ancient Biblical sounds of Hebrew.
>
>I'm actually shocked that people do believe that the Tiberian forms
>(which, we have seen, do not match the LXX forms or the other
>Masoretic forms) reflect pronunciation from 1,000 years earlier.

In case you think that this is something I have said, I have not. I have
simply stated that as far as I can see LXX does not provide evidence
against this possibility. You admit that "I assume that the Tiberian
forms *do not* capture the more ancient forms." You are probably right
because languages change over 1000+ years, but I am asking you not to
simply assume this, but to present some evidence for it - and I don't
think that evidence is in LXX, at least certainly not in a conclusive
way; for I agree with you that:

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/