[b-hebrew] Amos 6:3

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sun Oct 23 16:30:43 EDT 2005

Hi Yigal,

hamnaddiym is Piel.  The dagesh which customarily appears with the
definite article customarily drops out of the mem of a Piel participle.
It is similar, I believe, to the way the dagesh disappears from the
prefixed pronoun of wayyiqtol verbs in Piel (i.e. wayqittel).  The idea
is that the one word can only bear the strengthening of one consonant,
and the thematic strengthening of Piel wins.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine