[b-hebrew] Fw: XRM - Semantic Domain

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 22 19:50:40 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>

> On 22/10/2005 21:59, Yigal Levin wrote:
>
>>Dear Jack,
>>
>>I like your metaphor. But I think that the core meaning of XRM is actually
>>"set aside" (for the deity), which is also its meaning in Arabic. In this
>>way, its core meaning is very similar to QD$. ...
>>

> Yigal, you may know more Arabic than I do, but from what I understand the
> meaning in Arabic is almost precisely opposite to QD$, much more like +M)
> and $QC.
>
> --
Not quite, Peter. Think of the Arabic name for the Temple Mount: Haram
esh-Sharif, the Noble Sanctuary. I don't know how haram came to mean
forbidden food. Perhaps for just that reason: something that is "haram" is
forbidden - originally for "secular" use, then, by expansion, for any use.
Words often take on opposite meanings: the Muslim version of "kosher", i.e.
"permitted food" is "halal", which in Hebrew is the opposite of QD$.

Yigal