[b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 22 19:34:52 EDT 2005

On 22/10/2005 16:43, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Jack:

I think you are actually replying to me.

>Not all uses of XRM in Hebrew deal with destruction. Not
>even always referring to  that which is to be destroyed. For
>example, the gold, silver and bronze from Jericho were
>XRM in Joshua 6, to be brought to the temple treasury, not
>destroyed. ...

But in Muslim tradition something which is haram will never be brought
into a holy place like a mosque, it is forbidden because it is
disgusting and unclean. That is the huge difference from the gold etc
brought into the temple treasury. Arabic haram is more like Hebrew  טמא
+M) t-m-' or שׁקץ $QC sh-q-ts, as in Leviticus 11:4,12.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/