[b-hebrew] The spice of lexicography: Human Sacrifice

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 22 19:28:00 EDT 2005

On 22/10/2005 15:55, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>Years ago I was informed that looking at words by their
>roots was traditional lexicography for Hebrew, and that
>19th century lexicographers merely continued that
>tradition.

Maybe, but 20th century lexicographers did not. The problem is in fact
essentially one created by the copyright laws. BDB is out of copyright
and so available cheaply, so many people (including me) use it although
it is hopelessly outdated. The copyright laws arbitrarily deny us the
methodological and other advantages of a century of advancing lexicography.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/