[b-hebrew] The spice of lexicography: Human Sacrifice

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 18:15:03 EDT 2005

That would be a call to me. Now then! Where shall I start.

The most major failing of lexicography IMO is to force readers to
search words under their routes, which not only complicates things
for the untrained reader but is also downright misleading.

IMO a good lexicon would not only list and deal with words in their
individual forms but would also list and deal with the real 'words'
or that is to say the common repeating combinations of words which
permeate the entire text of the tanach.

It is undeniable that function is far more important that form and
a form based approach is the most unnatural way of learning a language
that currently exists. People learn languages in functional phrases
for the practical reason that functional phrases are the atomic
building blocks of an expressive language.

That is not to say that the lexicon should not offer information of
form but that a good lexicon should not be completely oriented around
form as if that were the true atomic component of expression.