[b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Oct 21 18:01:26 EDT 2005

On 21/10/2005 19:07, Yard, John wrote:

>If I am not mistaken the same technical expression -
>'to dedicate to destruction' - is used in the Moabite
>stone on reference to the inhabitants of an Isrealite
>city who were sacrificed - XRM - to Chemosh.
>
>It's quid pro quo - I give you something valuable -
>you ( Chemosh ) give me something back,

The same word XRM is used in Arabic even today with a similar but subtly
different meaning. Unclean food like pork is "haram" i.e. forbidden to
Muslims. Also the "harem" or ladies' quarters are forbidden to all but
the lord. But the component of destruction is missing from the Arabic
concept.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/