[b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Oct 21 12:56:36 EDT 2005

Dear Jack,

>It must be pointed that this is some time after Sauls
>death.  None of the seven male descendents of Saul are
>implicated in Sauls crime in the text.  They did not commit
>the sin but their death atones for Sauls (and Israels ?)
>sin.

HH: I don't know that we can say none of the
seven descendants are implicated in Saul's crime.
Listen to this word from God:

2Sam. 21:1 ¶ During the reign of David, there was
a famine for three successive years; so David
sought the face of the LORD. The LORD said,  "It
is on account of Saul and his blood-stained
house; it is because he put the Gibeonites to
death."

HH: The famine was not only due to Saul but also
to his "blood-stained house." His "house"
signifies his family. These seven people were
quite close to Saul and presumably could have
participated with Saul in the destruction of the
Gibeonites, thus making themselves
"blood-stained."

HH: I don't know that the seven were personally
involved, but I don't know that they weren't. I
know that God characterizes Saul's family as
blood-stained. God consented to the request of
the Gibeonites and He is righteous. So there must
have been good grounds for it.

HH: There is a notion of corporate solidarity and
responsibility that existed in the ancient world,
and we see it at work in God's judgments
sometimes. The thirty-six who died at Ai had not
committed Achan's sin, but they were part of the
nation that God had warned not to take things
under the ban as Achan did. Achan's family had
not necessarily plotted in the crime, yet they
were also put to death for it (perhaps they knew
of it and kept it a secret). God is the God of
eternity, so we have to trust that He knows what
He's doing, even if He doesn't explain every
detail.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard