[b-hebrew] Leviticus 27:29 and human sacrifice ???

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Wed Oct 19 14:33:22 EDT 2005

Lev27:28 - slavery
27:29: yaharam is passive, unlike in 27:28; sentenced.
If I'm correct, Milgrom wrote something among these lines, too.

Vadim Cherny

> I have read and heard it repeatedly that the biggest moral
difference between Judaism and paganism is that
Judaism forbade human sacrifice. With the unfortunate
exception of YPTX's daughter, that characterization seems
accurate.

In Leviticus 27:29 (look also at the verses around it) there
seems to be a command that human sacrifice is to be
practiced.

The question that may clear up this understanding is the
definition of XRM.

I checked Reinier de Blois' online dictionary, but does it
really fit this use?

I suspect that the lexeme XRM may have the idea of
marking out, as in designating animals to be sacrificed
such that they can no longer be considered owned by the
designator, but also marked as in blemished physically,
such that a hereditary priest may not serve in the temple
(Leviticus 21:18) or blemished morally such that his death
is an execution of the guilty, not a sacrifice.

What say ye?

Karl W. Randolph.