[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Oct 19 12:17:21 EDT 2005

On 19/10/2005 14:22, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>>Those interersted in the LXX might be interested in Sturtevant's _The
>>>Pronunciation of Greek and Latin_, which I've added to my reading
>>>list:
>>>
>>>  http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/ReadingList.html
>>>
>>>It reviews the evidence about the pronunciation of Greek (and Latin),
>>>though without the benefit of modern linguistics.
>>>

>>Those interested in the LXX might be better served by reading a book
>>which is not nearly 40 years old and which does have the benefit of
>>modern linguistics, and of much evidence e.g. in papyri which has been
>>uncovered relatively recently.
>>

>Do you have a suggestion?

I have already suggested to you Randall Buth's article
http://biblicalulpan.org/PDF%20Files/PRONSYS1_US.pdf, undated but quite
recent. This is obviously an overview which doesn't go into all the
evidence, but he lists books which do, e.g.

> For further examples and discussion, see Francis Thomas Gignac, /A
> Grammar of the Greek Papyri of the Roman and Byzantine Periods./
> Volume One: Phonology. Milan 1976.
> More readable and with good grasp of linguistic development is:
> Geoffrey Horrocks, /Greek, A History of the Language and its
> Speakers./ Longmans, 1997.

Another interesting article,
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/%7ecwconrad/docs/CompPhon.pdf, is by Carl
Conrad of the b-greek list, but this does not go into the dates of
pronunciation changes. See also
http://www.bsw.org/?l=72081&a=Art06.html, but I am surprised by the
conclusion here, from a modern Greek speaker, that Koine Greek was
already pronounced almost the same as modern Greek. There are more
interesting links at http://www.biblicalgreek.org/links/pronunciation.php.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/