[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel at exc.com
Wed Oct 19 09:08:32 EDT 2005

>Well, I tend to agree, but it was you who introduced the subject,
>suggesting that LXX transliterations could tell us something about
>Hebrew. I think they can tell us something but not much.

Funny how these things have a life of their own.  I specifically argue
*against* learning about Hebrew from the LXX transliterations, for
reasons that I enumate and discuss in my book.  My point is:

1.  Transliterations are not reliable guides to pronunciation.

2.  Even if we ignore (1), we still find little support for TH in the
    LXX.

(3. Interestingly, what we do find is support for Tiberian Hebrew
    *grammar* in the LXX transliterations.)

-Joel M. Hoffman
 http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman