[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Wed Oct 19 05:00:24 EDT 2005

>>> I suggest only one possible inaccuracy, in the transliteration of
>>> Keturah.
>>

>> What's wrong with that? Kof aspirated in non-accented syllable. ...
>

> My point is simply that this is the one exception to an otherwise simple
> rule, that qof is transliterated as kappa, and kaf as chi.

Simply the rule is defined too narrowly without considering the environment.
(Joel doesn't see the environment, and reaches wrong conclusion on erratic
differences between LXX and MT.)
Schwa in antepenult syllables is vocal (k(e)turAh) because of apportioning
the air flow (pretonic schwa, on the contrary, is silent), and likewise
consonants in antepenults are in a sense "vocal," aspirated. Thus kof as
chi.

>>> No, they were working also from what they heard read in synagogues.
>> chanted, not read?
>>
> Indeed.

Might we conclude from that that the Masoretic vowels, schwa, and dagesh
might be related to chanting, not to speech? Vowel length  (especially
relative length) and stops are considerably different between chanting and
speech.

Vadim Cherny