[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Tue Oct 18 13:50:14 EDT 2005

> I suggest only one possible inaccuracy, in the transliteration of Keturah.

What's wrong with that? Kof aspirated in non-accented syllable. Greeks heard
it correctly.
As for the double t in Hettura, could it be like the doubling in Italian?
Alternatively, could the first syllable he be semi-stressed (strongly
aspirated h makes the syllable sound accented)? Something like, HE/tturAh,
Hebrew acccent, rather than Greek HetUrah. Then, post-tonic gemination.
Still another possibility is that Greeks heard short u, and accented
correctly on antepenult, HEtturah, straightforward post-tonic gemination.
Translators of such a large corpus are unlikely to err in names. Possibly,
but unlikely.

> No, they were working also from what they heard read in synagogues.

chanted, not read?

Vadim Cherny